Stuff and Stuff
POSTED: January 28, 2013 | CATEGORY: General Updates
January is almost over, and the year seems to be running in high gear. I thought I’d pop in and give a few updates and let you guys know what I’m working on.
Before the official numbered list, I want to address the many, many, MANY questions I receive about movie news for THE MAZE RUNNER. I don’t mean that in an annoyed way – I love the questions because I’m just as excited as you and I’m glad that you are! Everything is pretty tight-lipped right now, but all I can tell you is what is public knowledge. Wes Ball is directing, The Gotham Group is producing, 20th Century Fox is the studio, and the film is in pre-production. And the casting process has begun. If you are an interested actor and you know what you’re doing, you probably already know this. I can’t say anything else, but much more to come…
Ok, now onto other updates:
1. THANK YOU for all the oohs and ahs for the cover of THE EYE OF MINDS, coming October 8th. In case you missed it, take a gander: CLICK HERE
2. I’m hard at work on the sequel to that book, Book 2 in THE MORTALITY DOCTRINE series. I feel a lot of pressure because I think you’re going to kinda like how the first book ends and I don’t want to mess up the momentum. I’ll do my best! This one is tentatively titled, THE RULE OF THOUGHTS.
3. I’m really pleased and excited about the building momentum for INFINITY RING. Book 3 comes out next week, by the incredible and slightly looney Lisa McMann. Look for it! And the accompanying online game, too. There’ll be an all-new stage to solve.
4. Speaking of that series, I thought it was really awesome that Scholastic did a huge contest for essays rewriting history, with over 3,000 students entering. The grand prize winner’s name is Anna Freeman, and her story goes back in time to ensure that a certain family named Hitler never had a certain boy named Adolph. Very clever. As a result, I’ll be visiting her school next month. Go Blandford Elementary!
5. This spring I’ll be writing the 7th and last book in that series. So the next few months will be a very busy writing time for me with two books to work on.
6. I don’t really have many events coming up that are public. Sorry! But I’m sure I’ll make up for it a bit when the book comes out this fall.
7. I know many of you have heard of www.TeensRead.com. They are, to borrow a word from the 70s, groovy. (I want to disclose here that I’ve never actually used that word except with an obviously mocking tone. But I was born in the 70s. And therefore, I am old.) They’re ramping up their annual Teens Choice Awards, and you should all go vote. For whatever book you, ahem, want to! CLICK HERE. Hurry before the voting ends on Feb 13.
POP CULTURE updates:
8. I’m not ashamed to admit it: Downton Abby is awesome. That is all.
9. Having finished Book 7 of THE WHEEL OF TIME, I’m now more than halfway through Book 8. Sometimes it’s a labor of love, but I really do like those books. And I’m excited to get to the ones by my friend, Brandon Sanderson. Ya know, books TWELVE through FOURTEEN. By the way, did you know that Brandon has his first YA book coming out this fall? It’s called STEELHEART, and it’s really, really good. He shares my publisher and editor (the one and only Krista Marino) for that book. Cool, eh?
10. I haven’t seen a movie in awhile because nothing has really grabbed my interest and things have been busy. But my family has been watching that AFRICA show on the Discovery Channel. Pretty amazing. And MODERN FAMILY of course. And I want to watch THE FOLLOWING but haven’t quite gotten to it, yet. If it’s anything like DEXTER, I’m in.
11. My son has officially turned into a complete “Magic, the Gathering” Nerd-Freak. Yes, the card game. And he’s sucked me right in. We went to our first official Magic tournament on Saturday and I don’t have to tell you that I got smoked. But it was fun and I’m determined to get better. And may I just say what I’ve always said: Nerds Rule.
12. Oh, nevermind. We saw THE IMPOSSIBLE. Most excellent and will make you hug and squeeze your kids for hours on end. I cried like a baby. Very powerful movie and I think it totally got snubbed by the Oscars.
Have a great week!